What does it mean to Get What You Need as an artist during a pandemic and a social justice global crisis?
In our effort to address this question, Get What You Need residency continues to provide two Philly dance artists with the opportunity to create through the support of shared resources and time.
What is Get What You Need, a.k.a. GWYN?
GWYN is a consortium of artist professionals, creatives and collaborative partnerships based in Philadelphia. Currently the consortium is made of Zornitsa Stoyanova, Keila Cordova, Janna Meiring and Kenwyn Samuel.
- GWYN is a local virtual residency designed to support movement performance makers living and working in the Philadelphia area.
- We support new work from all contemporary dance forms, as long as they’re working towards public engagement. Engagement could be performance, a virtual happening or something completely new and unheard of before.
- As a GWYN artist in residence you’ll be able to develop your work by showing or sharing it monthly through virtual means with only your mentors or publicly, if you wish.
- The two GWYN artists function as a cohort and are required to be present for each other’s monthly meetings/showings. (always on a Saturday during the day — exact dates are flexible)
- GWYN is an artist led residency, where resources are shared. The goal is to fill the need for making and presenting performance at this time.
- GWYN residency will culminate in a public showing in May, 2021.
- A one time stipend of $200 for each artist, will be provided, which can either be paid once at the end of the residency or in two installments.
- Residency spans from November 18th 2020 to end of May 2021.
- As a GWYN artist you would have access to the following resources:
- Professionals in the field contributing their knowledge, experience and expertise in contemporary dance, theatre, somatic/movement and performance art forms.
- Support to find rehearsal/studio space in the Philadelphia area.
- Facilitation and coaching through process and development stages.
- Support in performance praxis, creating and placing work in social context.
- Technical guidance in set, costume, makeup and other design elements.
- Sound, video and editing tools.
- Invite an outside artist as a guide during your process.
- Administration, accounting, legal and self-producing tools and practices.
- Basic website tools and accessibility.
- Direct access to the consortium and all their combined resources.
- Full list of all of our shared resources you can find here.
Eligibility: Artist need to have lived and presented work in Philadelphia area for at least one year. Students are not eligible to apply. Artists can apply in any stage or their career. Two Residents will be chosen from the applicants. Residents will be chosen based on clarity of research proposed, commitment to all monthly meetings, and compatibility of artistic need to our current resources.
Application review panel: Kenwyn Samuel, Janna Meiring, Keila Cordova, Zornitsa Stoyanova and other local artists.
This platform is completely FREE of charge to the artist residents and the viewers. It is made possible by a multitude of small individual donations from all over the world.
Any questions, please contact zornitsa(at)bodymeld.org
You don’t live in Philly, but want a GWYN?
May be you could start one yourself in your city? Zornitsa is available as a mentor and is willing to travel virtually or physically to help you make this happen. Are you in Europe? (First, congratulations, that’s awesome) Don’t worry we are not too far. Zornitsa is presently living between Philadelphia, US and Sofia, Bulgaria. (yes crazy time to be doing that during a pandemic) Contact her at zornitsa(at)bodymeld.org.
GWYN Residency program is entirely created by individual donations of money, time and expertise. Please consider donating to the program. We greatly appreciate it. DONATE HERE.