Excited to announce our GWYN 2021/22 artists Lindsey Huster and Julia Bryck.
Lindsey and Julia will spend the next 8 months creating new movement based performance work. Follow us on Facebook to learn more about their process and hear about their final showing in June 2022.
Julia Bryck (she/her) is a performer, dance-theater maker, dramaturge, and chronic sentimentalist. After graduating from Bard College, she returned to Philadelphia in 2018 to attend Headlong Performance Institute and has lived in south Philly ever since. Julia is currently an artist in residence at Mascher Space Cooperative while serving as their Finance Coordinator. To see more of her work, visit www.vimeo.com/juliabryck
Lindsey Huster(they/them) is a Philly-based mover, choreographer, and performing artist. They completed an artist residency with the Headlong Performance Institute in 2019. The following year, they choreographed, collaborated, and performed in the Leah Stein Studio Works. Most recently, Lindsey choreographed and premiered in their piece, dwell, in Philadelphia’s Fringe Festival. www.lindseyhuster.com
What is Get What You Need, a.k.a. GWYN?
GWYN is a consortium of artist professionals, creatives, and collaborative partnerships based in Philadelphia. Currently, the consortium of mentors includes Zornitsa Stoyanova, Keila Cordova, Janna Meiring, and Kenwyn Samuel.
- GWYN is a Philadelphia centered modular residency designed to support movement performance makers.
- GWYN is an artist led residency, where resources are shared. The goal is to fill the artists’ current need for making and presenting performance.
- We support new work from all contemporary dance forms, as long as they’re working towards public engagement – which could be performance, a virtual happening or something completely new and unheard of before.
- GWYN artists develop their work by showing or sharing it monthly through virtual means with only consortium mentors or publicly. For one session, they can collectively invite an outside artist as a cohort guide to support their process.
- The two GWYN artists function as a cohort and are required to be present for each other’s monthly meetings/showings – 2 to 3 hours each – always on a Sunday during the day (exact dates are flexible).
- Residency spans from November 2021 to end of May 2022 and will culminate in a public work-in-progress showing.
- A one time stipend of $200 for each artist, will be provided, which can either be paid once at the end of the residency or in two installments.
- GWYN artists have access to the following resources:
- Professionals in the field contributing their knowledge, experience and expertise in contemporary dance, theatre, somatic/movement and performance art forms.
- Support to find rehearsal/studio space in the Philadelphia area.
- Facilitation and coaching through process and development stages.
- Support in performance praxis, creating and placing work in social context.
- Technical guidance in set, costume, makeup and other design elements.
- Sound, video and editing tools.
- Administration, accounting, legal and self-producing tools and practices.
- Basic website tools and accessibility.
- Direct access to the consortium and all their combined resources.
- Full list of all of our shared resources you can find here.
Eligibility: Artists need to have lived and presented work in the Philadelphia area for at least one year. Students are not eligible to apply. Artists can apply at any stage of their careers. Two Residents will be chosen from the applicants. Residents will be chosen based on the clarity of research proposed, commitment to all monthly meetings, and compatibility of artistic need to our current resources.
Deadline, October 18, 2021
Application review panel: Kenwyn Samuel, Janna Meiring, Keila Cordova, Zornitsa Stoyanova, and potentially other local artists.
This platform is completely FREE of charge to the artist residents. It is made possible by a multitude of small individual donations from all over the world.
Any questions, please contact zornitsa(at)bodymeld.org
We accept donations of any kind through PayPal. We believe that everyone involved should be paid fairly for their work and raise money for this program over the whole year. To donate click here.
You don’t live in Philly, but want a GWYN?
Maybe you could start one yourself in your city? Zornitsa is available as a mentor and is willing to travel virtually or physically to help you make this happen. Are you in Europe? (First, congratulations, that’s awesome) Don’t worry we are not too far. Zornitsa is presently living between Philadelphia, US and Sofia, Bulgaria. (yes crazy time to be doing that during a pandemic) Contact her at zornitsa(at)bodymeld.org.
GWYN Residency program is entirely created by individual donations of money, time and expertise. Please consider donating to the program. We greatly appreciate it. DONATE HERE.